Sunday, April 26, 2009

I've got joy, joy,joy,joy down in my heart!

Journal reflection #2

Helping the volunteers at the "got soup" ministry at the Babtist church for the second time was just as wonderful as the first. From the minute I walked in I was warmly welcomed! And the smell of chicken pot pie was everywhere! The preparation for the meal allready done and the volunteers sitting at tables in the large dining room or finishing last minute chores. I can't begin to describe what I see. How do I describe kindness and goodwill? The volunteers work together like a well oiled machine. Nothing is left out or forgotten, everyone knows their duties and is ready to serve. But that's not all, the joy that is in their hearts and bubbling out, is what I am attempting to describe. And the needy who come in for the meal they feel that joy and they respond. The atmosphere is electric!
My job is to help Eve serve food, she serves sandwiches, I serve fruit. And we both greet everyone. I am overwhelmed by the number of young people and men that go through the line.
My heart goes out to them. They're all smiling and very polite. A volunteer named Lori comes up to our tray line, she is a young asian lady whose job is to serve meals to the tables of the elderly and handicapped. She herself is mentally challenged, but witty, oh is she ever. After everyone had been served a meal, a speaker is introduced. Unfortunatly I can't remember his name but I sure do remember his smile, for it never left him. He's introduced as the pastor of the gospell mission. And while everyone enjoyed their meal he spoke to them about love, Gods love. Eve and I then returned to the kitchen to find a volunteer named Sandra and a fellow co-worker she has brought with her, washing up pots and pans. Not far from them is several large sheet pans holding sliced homemade cake for dessert. After everyone has had seconds on the meal if wanted and a slice of cake, a volunteer opens up a room that is filled with tioletries such as papertowls, toilet paper, and clothes washing soap. Everyone is welcome to get some. I help finish cleaning up as people leave, I say goodbye to all my new friends, I'll be back next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment